Don´t think that your leak is too small to take care, it will get bigger; a roof leak will never get better on its own.
It won’t fix itself, and the longer you ignore it, the more chance there is that you will have water pouring into your bedroom.
Your home is a place for making you feel safe and protected from the nature elements, so you don´t want leaks never.
These nature elements like rain and snow can get inside your house even if you like it or not.
The best to do to avoid bad times, is taking action as soon as possible, before any small leak becomes a big damage to your house.
If you get any leak on your roof, contact a best Roof company, there are some actions you can do to manage the issue and minimize damages:
Here are some steps to follow:
Move things out of the leak´s way
The first action to take, by common sense, is move all the stuff that is on the way of the leak, in other words, clean the area!
Water has the capacity to damage everything on its way, no matter what is: furniture, fabrics, decorative wood articles, etc.
So, before you get major damages on your belongings, take action against the leak now!
Relieve Water Pressure
Any sagging bulge hanging from the ceiling is a sign that there’s water collecting in that spot.
No matter how small it looks, you have to check and correct quite rapid, before it produces a major damage to the ceiling.
In order to relieve water pressure, carefully puncture the lowest point of the bulge and put a bucket underneath it to catch the water.
You could need several punctures, depending on the size of the leak.
Contain the Water
One good point to start repairing a leaking roof, is by trying to contain the leaking water as much as possible.
There are many things you can use to capture the water reducing the impact and damage.
Among these things you can use buckets, garbage cans, towels, and anything else you can find to contain water and avoid major damages.
In order to avoid initially floor damages, make sure you have several containers nearby that can trap the water.
Switch them out regularly to reduce the risk of overflow while you make actions to stop the leak.
Remember that this is an emergency solution, don´t leave it as permanent!
Take photos for insurance documentation
Documenting your damages will be your best play when you file your home insurance claim if the damage is eligible for a claim.
This is very important! Don´t forget to do this step! take photos and document everything.
By doing this, you will be able to show the severity of the roof damage, and also the other items that were compromised.
If your furniture, electrical appliances, bedding, or kitchen were ruined by the roof leak, document it.
The insurance company could fix the roof and replace the items you Have lost.
Tarp the roof
You can use a tarp to cover the problem area if you can´t fix the leak, as soon as the roof is safe to climb.
Usually the problem areas by a leak are hard to find, try to determine the problem area based on where the leak is inside.
Use one tape of at least six millimeters thick, and extends a minimum of four feet across the problem area and up to the peak.
If the peak is too far away, tuck under shingles to prevent that water goes underneath the tarp.
Doing in this way you can have a good protection around the perimeter and will get the area completely covered.
Call a professional roofing company
A leaking roof is a big problem and hard to manage, so the best decision is to call a best Roof company.
The longer the problem remains, the worse the damage could get. The situation, needs to be fixed immediately.
Professional companies can repair the damaged area and assess other spots that may need repair or reconstruction.
Continue Regular Roof Maintenance
After the roof is repaired, there’s even more work to be done.
Doing regular maintenance on your roof is the best way to control leaks.
Your roof takes on a lot of wear and tear, and it’s exposed to harsh outside elements.
A good routine roof maintenance should include:
- Locating and replacing any curled or split shingles.
- Making sure gutters and downspouts have not become clogged with leaves or any other debris.
- Water must be able to run away from your house as designed
- Inspecting for any trees that may have grown too close to your roof, and, if so, cutting back limbs and branches.
- Checking for any damage such as loose or missing shingles after severe weather like storms or snow.
- Looking for any cracks in the chimney
Natural weather conditions like rain, snow, and hail weaken the shingles over time.
You have to be sure that your house stays in good condition by keeping your roof, properly maintained call a best Roof company to maintenance.
Dangers of a Leaking Roof
A roof leak is not only frustrating, but it’s hazardous as well. Here are a few things to be aware of:
- Leaks that aren’t corrected right away almost always cause mold.
- Mold is a threat for your health, and it could also damage wall and flooring coverings, wood framing, and ceiling tiles.
- If your roof gets moisture, it will get mold and mildew pretty soon this is big problem.
- If your home gets mold, its value can decrease and affects its marketability, too.
Fire and electrocution hazards
- Roof leaks can get into the wiring of your home, this can short circuit the wires and cause fire.
- If this happens, the surrounding areas could get sparks and produce fire in all your house.
Higher energy bills
- Water build-up can damage the electrical insulation and this could increase energy bills.
Attic and ceiling damage
- Leaks may create a problem with ventilation in the attic, this affects the comfort level throughout the rest of the house.
- Leaking water makes brown stains on the ceiling, messes up the paint, and makes plaster bubble up and expand.
If your roof is leaking, call Best Choice Construction. We will repair it right away. Our team of roofing specialists are happy to assist you.We are best Roof company.
Also, you can take advantage of our Free roof inspection to determine your roofing needs
If this article has been useful for you, share it with your friends and interested people.